Tuesday, July 14, 2009

MOSES REPLACED by Rufus---3

Rufus was smart enough to know that a person did not cross God and live to enjoy the experience. Though he had never really been a student of the Bible, Rufus had been exposed to quite a bit of singing, preaching, testifying and foot washing. As a boy in rural Alabama during the late ‘50’s and early 60’s Rufus and been dragged to almost every small country church in southern Lawrence, northern Cullman, and the eastern part of Winston County, all around the edges of the Bankhead Forest. Back in those days the mama’s or grand mama’s only hope of keeping the children out of the same old life cycle of drinkin, carousing, and ultimately dying on a Saturday night speeding wild through the forest while chugging a cold PBR was to get them started in church. I guess the forced churching took on some of the kids but by in large the majority of these kids in those days made it to their mid twenties by the grace of God. Rufus’s grandmother had been the one to undertake the moral seasoning of little Rufus Ray Terry. On top of that after Rufus took flight to Mexico and settled down he met and married a local woman raised in the Catholic Church. From both experiences in his religious background Rufus knew better than to take this personal conversation with God lightly. Fearing he was taking much to long to respond Rufus thought he better say something or the consequences would not be to pleasant. “God”, Rufus muttered almost under his breath. “Yes”, replied the voice coming from the still burning cactus. “God, I want to do whatever you want me to”, Rufus started, “but I didn’t even finished School at Speake back in Alabama. The Sheriff back home and the lady the runs the post office here are the only government people I’ve ever talked to”. “I don’t care”, responded God. “If I had wanted somebody else I would have picked them; you’ve got the sense I gave you and that’s enough, look at the people I used throughout the Bible”. “But what if I get started and you get busy on something else and forget about me for a day or two, then what will happen to me”. “Do you remember a couple of Sundays ago when you wife read you the story of Moses leading the children of Israel out of Egypt? Remember when they got pushed up against the sea with the army of Pharaoh bearing down on them? I picked that passage for her to read to you that day for a reason. Remember what I told Moses to tell them when they began to wine and cry about the situation he had gotten them into”. “I think so”, Rufus responded, knowing that he had no memory of what Moses had said. He only remembered that the sea had eventually parted and the Jews had gotten across before it closed back up on the army of chariots and bow hunters riding in them. “What did he tell them”, God pressed Rufus and Rufus had to bluff it, “Moses said ‘wait a minute’ and the sea will open for us”. God almost laughed, not many people actually remember what the exchange had been. “Good try Rufus, but that’s not really close”, God said, “he told them to stand behind him and to watch their Lord (me if you haven’t figured it out) defeat their enemies. He told them they did not have to lift a finger, that I would protect them and as you remember, that is exactly what I did”. “O yeah, I remember now”, Rufus tried to sound convincing but he knew God knew what he remembered and what he didn’t. God continued, “not many people know that even Moses did not know what was going to happen that day on the bank of the Red Sea. Moses was just like you in the beginning, shy and afraid, he had come to know me during the time between my approaching him in the desert like I am approaching you now and the time they backed up to that sea. I directed them with my cloud and pillar of fire to be in that exact place at that exact time. Moses never questioned me about the route from Pharaoh’s city to where they ended up or my intentions when the Egyptians approached. He had learned to simply rely on his faith in me and to trust that I would be there for him and his people.” Rufus thought he was beginning to understand and he was searching his heart to find the kind of faith to would sustain him on the journey he was being asked to undertake. Choosing his words carefully, Rufus started talking to God, “Lord, I know I don’t have much choice in this, but you know about the trouble I’ve got back at home, what if I go back and they arrest me for all that stuff I ran away from. If you get me out of that mess, then how do I get anyone to even listen to me, much less the President of the United States, the leader of the free world. I’m going to be pulling up to the White House in this old pick-up, if it makes it that far, and telling the guards at the gate I want to talk to the most powerful man in the world about something God wanted me to mention to the President. When they quit laughing they are either going to shoot me or they're going to put me away in some insane hospital for the rest of my life”. God couldn’t help but remember this conversation he had with Abraham, Moses, Jonah, Peter, Paul and countless others over the years. “Rufus, I have been through this many times before and I have never failed to be with the person I have chosen for a particular task. You have got to believe me when I tell you I have a plan for what I’m asking and I will walk every step with you on this journey. This task is not going to be easy but it is blessed, you are anointed. I have watched my children, who I love so dearly, and I have decided a major change in their attitude is the only way I can save them from themselves. I will pave the way for you in every way to have them hear your message and give them every opportunity to come back to me”. God continued, “this message must come from the most humble person to be effective. Leave it to me to gain you the access you will need and to soften the hearts of those who will hear and have the power to act”. “I remember in the Bible you sent Moses’ brother to help him and support him, will someone be there to help me do all the things you want me to do”, Rufus was not wanting to appear to be doubting or unbelieving but he was quite sure he could not pull this off by himself. “Yes”, replied God, “I am sending an angel you will meet before you get to Washington that will be with you all the way. You will meet him along the way, he will seek you out and you will know he is the one I have chosen to be with you as you carry out my mission”.

to be con'd

No comments: